Sunday, August 12, 2007

AAMU Bulldogs' first scrimmage starts fast on torrid day

Photo: Kelcy Luke, Junior, QB 6-0/210, Phenix City, AL (Central HS)

Towns says defense needs more intensity

Alabama A&M quarterback Kelcy Luke took the snap, dropped back and fired a perfect 40-yard pass to Charles Moody for a first down on the defense's 20.

Later, the two connected for a 5-yard touchdown to complete the drive.

It was a good start for A&M's first preseason scrimmage Saturday at Louis Crews Stadium. There was only one other touchdown and a field goal the rest of the afternoon, but defensive coordinator Brawnski Towns wasn't pleased.

"I thought today we did not play with a lot of intensity," Towns said. "And it showed on the first drive of the ballgame. We had bad technique by the defensive backs and missed tackles overall. I thought the D-line played fairly well."

Offensively, Luke played well, as did wide receiver Nate Baxter and tight end Moody. Ulysses Banks stood out at running back. And freshman Kevin Atkins did some good things in his quest to become the backup quarterback. Antonio Greene had a 3-yard touchdown run. Jeremy Licea kicked a 24-yard field goal and two extra points, but missed a 37-yarder.

"It wasn't bad," Bulldogs coach Anthony Jones said. "The thing that I'm looking for is for us to be competitive on both offense and defense and that's what I saw today."

Redshirt-freshman cornerback Korey Morrison intercepted a pass by quarterback Stanley Allen. Defensive end Chris "Biggame" Traylor, a senior, had two sacks. Defensive end Brian Christian and redshirt-freshman cornerback Chris Faush had good moments.

"I think I played decent," Morrison said. "I think I could've done better. I missed a tackle or two, but other than that I think I did all right."

"It was hot - it was super hot," Traylor said of the temperature in the 90s. "We got through the heat. It's tough. It takes a strong person to beat that heat."

Faush went down after a hard collision with wide receiver Gerald Stockdale, but jogged off the field and later said he just had the wind knocked out of him.

"I felt I did all right," Faush said. "I've been getting better and better each practice. Hopefully, I'll be getting more opportunities with balls thrown my way next scrimmage (Tuesday night at 6)."

Luke, a senior, was clearly the star on this day. He completed 8-of-15 passes for 99 yards and a touchdown. He also had three runs for 16 yards.

"I think it was a good scrimmage overall," Luke said. "We're just getting started, getting back to the speed of the game. We had a couple of missed assignments. We'll get better next week."

No comments: