Sunday, August 12, 2007

Cody Collins to run track for SU Jaguars

Photo: Cody Collins, SU Freshman Electrical Engineering major

Former OHS runner helped Tigers win Class 4A state title

By Eric Narcisse, The Dailyworld

BATON ROUGE - Opelousas High's Cody Collins never doubted he'd attend college or that he'd be a member of a universities track and field team.


In fact, Collins never had to think about where he wanted to attend college, because as long as he can remember it's been Southern University.

This past Wednesday, Collins signed a national letter of intent with the Jaguars' track and field program, where he is expected to run the mile, 800 and 400 meters.

"Growing up I always wanted to go to Southern," Collins said. "Southern is the university I grew up around, so that was my choice. Nicholls State was also interested in me, but I didn't make a visit. I never considered going anywhere else, because Southern was my choice."

Collins, who will also run cross country for the Jaguars, was even more impressed by the Jaguars' academic options - primarily electrical engineering.

"I want to major in electrical engineering and Southern has a really good program," Collins said. "So with them having a good program in what I want to major in and it being so close to home, I decided to sign."

As a senior, Collins helped the Tigers when the Class 4A state track and field championship, finishing fourth at state in the 800, helping the 4x400 relay team win first and the 4x200 relay team place fourth.

"Cody is a very determined kid," Tigers coach Kenneth J. Winfrey said. "He won't let anyone or anything stop him from accomplishing what he wants to accomplish. I know he has had his mind set on going to college since the first day I met him and now he's achieved that."

Winfrey, who earned All-Parish Coach of the Year honors for his team's success, believes Collins will be a great asset to the Jaguars' program.

"Cody is a good kid, who knows that the key to success in life is discipline and education," Winfrey said. "He has seen both sides of life - the good and the bad - so I'm not worried about Cody. He's a good kid and we need more Cody's in the world."

Collins, who said he'll likely play in the Jaguars band as a sophomore, is academically eligible with a 2.5 GPA and a score of 20 on his ACT.

"I'm every excited right now," said Collins, who has already moved into his dorm in preparation for first day of classes on Thursday. "I want to help Southern win the SWAC Championship and get another ring on my finger. I'm going to do my best."

No comments: