Monday, August 27, 2007

DSU Jones looks forward to new beginning


By: Andrew Santillo , The Record

Kareem Jones feels like he's getting a fresh start. Jones, who set the Section II record for career rushing yards at 6,092, while at Lansingburgh High School, has landed on his feet at Delaware State of the MEAC after leaving Syracuse University.

Jones spent three years at Syracuse and although he didn't see much time on the field, he did pick up his under¬graduate degree. "Syracuse is a great institution," Jones said. "It was three of the most fun years of my life, but now I'm a Hornet."

Jones decided to choose Delaware State, which plays in Division I-AA, partly because he wouldn't have to sit out a year and after red-shirting his first season in 2004 with the Orange, he still has two years of eligibility remaining.

Jones' ability to persevere through the non-ideal situation of being stuck on the sidelines, he says comes from his parents, Willie and Jill.

"My mother and father always told me never to take a back seat to anyone," Jones said. "That's how I live my life and down here, I'm keeping the same mindset." Jones is on full scholarship at Delaware State pursuing his masters in business. "My main concern is getting my mas¬ters degree," Jones said. "I do want to play and contribute."

Photo: RB Kareem Jones

Delaware State head coach Al Lavan played a large role in swaying Jones' decision to choose DSU over Hampton University in Virginia.

"He told me where the program was headed and I saw it was in the right direction," Jones said. "Playing football and being on scholarship was a hard offer to turn down."

Jones didn't travel down to Dover all by himself, his roommate from Syracuse - defensive back Reggie McCoy, is also rooming with Jones at Delaware State. "It's good that I came down with a familiar face, someone I know and can converse with," Jones said.

The transition to Delaware State from Syracuse was much easier, Jones says, than transitioning to the college game the first time, coming out of Lansingburgh. "The offense took time to adjust to, but it's the same concept, I know all of my blitz responsibilities," Jones said. "It was much smoother than when I came from high school to college."

After rushing for 2,596 yards and being selected the New York State Class B Player of the Year in 2003, Jones finished two full seasons at Syracuse with only 40 rushes for 99 yards.

The Hornets finished last season 8-3 overall, second behind Hampton (10-2) for the conference title. The Orange only won five games in Jones' two seasons on the roster, so the 5-foot-11 tailback would like to get back to the winning ways.

"I want to play and have fun, but I'd also like to win games, too," Jones said. The Hornets could put Jones right in to the starting role when the season begins at home, Sept. 1 against Coastal Carolina.

The school hosted a pep rally on Friday, which got Jones even more excited for the upcoming year. "The crowd was going crazy, the band was playing and they announced the starters - that was cool," Jones said. "It's a different atmosphere."

No comments: