Thursday, August 23, 2007

FAMU backup RBs stepping up their game

Photo: CB Greg Clark, Junior, Tampa Durant HS, Tampa, FL, 5-9/180

By St. Clair Murraine, DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

FAMU redshirt junior running back Greg Arline is rooting for the return of injured started Anthony Edwards and Demitric Henry, but in the meantime he's making quite a case for himself. His latest exhibit came during Wednesday afternoon's 2-minute drill that wrapped up the day's practice.

Arline broke off a 15-yard run that capped a 50-plus-yard gain by the offense in its most impressive 2-minute drill this fall. He was one of the unlikely heroes.
"Maybe I turned a few heads as far as the 2-minute drill," Arline said. "One thing I try to do when I'm in there is just stay calm. You can't panic because if you panic you're going to make the mistakes. I had to bring it down a notch."

Arline and freshman Phillips Sylvester have been getting most of the reps while Henry (hamstring) and Edwards (foot) recover.

"When those guys come back healthy, we're going to be strong," he said.

Prior to Arline's run, quarterback Eddie Battle connected with freshman receiver Isaac West for a 42-yard gain. That alone was at least 25 yards more than the offense mustered the last time coach Rubin Carter took the Rattlers through the drill.

"Having that situation I thought was very productive," Carter said. "It wasn't as good as we'd like, but we had the situation for our young quarterback so they can understand urgency and also for the receivers to understand where they need to be in order to make plays. On the defensive side, it's being able to terminate plays and get off the field."

West said the experience was one he needed to help make the adjustment of playing at the college level.

"I feel like I can do it; how to get away from the defenders and everything," he said. "I just went hard on the play to do my job and catch the ball."

Cornerback Greg Clark made yet another statement for the defense when he intercepted a fade route pass in the left corner of the end zone.

"I sat back and watched it the whole way," he said. "I got a good read on the quarterback. Being my height (5-foot-9), it was kind of difficult but I stuck with it and brought it down."

No comments: