Friday, August 17, 2007

FAMU's McGriff back at practice after week out

Photo: Tyrone McGriff, All-MEAC DE, 6-1/217, Tallahassee Florida HS


By Heath A. Smith, DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Senior Tyrone McGriff was a welcome sight to Florida A&M's practice Thursday for his teammates.

The All-MEAC defensive end out of Florida High had been out this week after suffering an allergic reaction from some medicine he was taking for a stomach virus.

"I had a virus and had to go to the hospital," McGriff said. "I was dehydrated and everything. I was given some medicine and the next day my breathing started getting a little wheezy.

"By that afternoon, it felt like my windpipe was starting to close up. I had to go back to the hospital. I found out I was having an allergic reaction to the medicine. That hindered me coming back as fast as I wanted to."

McGriff said he is not at 100 percent, but was glad to get back on the field.

"It was rough today," McGriff said. "When you are getting over an illness you still got it in your system. I got through the day, but my breathing was starting to get a little heavy. I just have to slowly get myself back into the swing of things."

Carter said he has no intention of rushing his best pass rusher back into action before he is ready to go.

"It will be a gradual transition back," Carter said. "We want to be cautious with him and make sure that he is well. We will continue to monitor him has he comes out to practice."

No comments: