Tuesday, August 21, 2007

JSU Football: Bring it on

Photo: Labrose Hedgemon and Keith Camp slammed SU Gerald Landry in '06.

By David Brandt, Clarion Ledger

There is no hiding at cornerback, and Keith Camp found that out the hard way last season.

During his first 11 games wearing the Jackson State uniform he was often burned by wide receivers. Owned. Embarrassed. Toasted. Smoked.

Because of his troubles, he became the favorite target for opposing offenses as well as Jackson State fans.

Brimming with confidence when he came to Jackson, Camp was suddenly the shell of the all-conference performer JSU coaches recruited out of Bakersfield (Calif.) Community College.

"It definitely humbled me," said Camp, who's now a senior. "It made me work harder and made me make this next season a testimony. I want to prove that I'm the same guy that was a star in junior college. I want everyone to know that last year wasn't the real me and I am a lockdown corner."

So you won't see Camp (5 feet 11, 190 pounds) shying away from taking on the top receivers this season. He'll still be wearing No. 5 and playing the left cornerback spot for the Tigers. And if opposing teams or JSU fans still think he's the weak link in the defense, so be it.

"They'll find out in a hurry that things have changed," Camp said.

And just like Camp, the entire Jackson State secondary promises things have changed for the better.

After starting last season 5-1, the Tigers dropped four of their last five games and missed a chance at the Southwestern Athletic Conference title.

Much of that slide was blamed on the secondary and rightfully so. JSU's passing defense was ranked next to last in the SWAC in passing yards surrendered and gave up 16 touchdowns through the air - tied for most in the conference.

There's plenty of experience returning with Camp, senior LaBrose Hedgemon and sophomore Kerry Hoskins in the fold. Add in junior newcomers Domonique Johnson (a Missouri transfer) and Tim Clark (L.A. Pierce CC) and the group is undoubtedly deeper.

But the question remains, are they any better?

"I really do think so," said Rick Comegy, the second-year JSU coach. "I think our inexperience as a coaching staff with this team hurt the secondary more than any other location last season. We know we have talented athletes back there and now we have the experience to match."

After last season's trouble, the group's ego might be a bit bruised, but it's certainly not broken.

Camp said that personally he's been through way too much in his life to let 11 bad games define his career.

After growing up in what he called the "scum" of Dayton, Ohio, Camp worked his way to Jackson State. Daily motivation certainly hasn't been a problem.

"I don't talk about it much, but my mom's on drugs and I don't know my dad," Camp said. "My granny raised me and my six brothers. I'm the only one that made it out to college. My other brothers are either into the streets or just lazy. It's up to me to try to make it out and do something to help my family. One rough season's not going to stop me from doing that."

And while some will call his story heartbreaking and his journey into the JSU starting lineup uplifting, the game of football is unforgiving. It doesn't care about any hardships Camp has overcome.

Opposing teams have the tape from last year. They undoubtedly remember No. 5's giving ways.

But it's not just Camp who said things have changed. The mantra comes from everywhere on JSU's roster - beware the new-look secondary.

"I think we've bonded together because we all felt the heat last season," Hedgemon said. "Keith can play this game and I know I can, too. Our communication has been better and we're fine-tuning things instead of completely overhauling our system. We're better and I know it."

And in less than two weeks, the retooled secondary will get its first major test - a Delta State offense that's known to chuck the ball all over the field with loads of success.

Camp says it will certainly be a daunting task but to bring it on. He knows that as quickly as his football reputation was sacked, it can be reborn.

Such is the life of a corner.

"When I'm making All-SWAC this year, they're going to pick me out, too," Camp said. "Being a cornerback ... you win some and you lose some. I'm not afraid of that, and that's why I think I'll be successful in the end."

No comments: