Thursday, September 20, 2007

ASU's Mitchell makes most of opportunity


By CASSANDRA M. TAYLOR, Press-Register

Quarterback and LeFlore graduate has led Hornets to 3-0 start

During Alabama State's summer workout sessions, Chris Mitchell knew he'd have to be patient to get his shot.

The LeFlore graduate didn't have to wait long.

Mitchell took over at quarterback in the second quarter of the season opener against Jacksonville State. The result has been the team's first 3-0 start since the 2004 season when the Hornets claimed the SWAC Championship.

"My dream was to be the starter, but, prior to the season, I knew because of my lack of play during the summer that I'd have to wait my turn," Mitchell said. "There was also a case of learning the offensive plays and signals. But I knew once I eventually got in the game I'd be ready to play."

Mitchell, who has completed 37 of 51 passes for 485 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions, transferred from East Mississippi Community College where he started his freshman and sophomore seasons.

He led the Hornets to their third consecutive fourth-quarter comeback win this season at Arkansas-Pine Bluff last week.

"Chris' laid-back style contributes to our ability to be successful in the fourth quarter and in close games," first-year coach Reggie Barlow said. "Nothing seems to rattle him which concerned me at first, but now I understand that's just his style."

Mitchell admits his style of leadership may have given coaches some misconceptions about his ability to lead the team.

"I'm just a really calm guy most of the time and when game time comes I know what I'm there for and what I need to do," Mitchell said. "I guess that could be confusing to coaches because they couldn't get a clear picture of me as a player. During summer drills, the lack of repetitions bothered me a little but now everyone has shown they have confidence in me."

Mitchell is looking forward to Gulf Coast Classic in Mobile on Sept. 29 at Ladd-Peebles Stadium but knows he can't look past Saturday night's showdown with Alcorn State at the Cramton Bowl.

"We're definitely not looking past Alcorn," he said. "They're a good team, and we expect a hard-fought game. But I'm really looking forward to coming home to Mobile and facing Southern University in this year's Gulf Coast Classic.

"That's going to be very exciting. I'm counting down the days. It's always a blessing to be able to come back home to play in front of family, friends and your old high school coaches."


No comments: