Friday, September 21, 2007

B-CU's Odom finds his stride

You gotta love the guys that always claim they turned down a scholarship offer from Florida A&M University Rattlers to play at Bethune Cookman. These guys, like Brendan Odom only wish they were good enough to get signed by Coach Rubin Carter. At best, this guy would be an invited "walk-on" at FAMU, if invited at all. Hardheaded, suspension, doing stupid stuff--Odom is not FAMU student-athlete material. Not one mention of his academic interests, pursuits (if any) or his degree program at BCU. Thanks for not selecting FAMU, Odom.... (beepbeep)
------------
By SEAN KERNAN, Daytona Beach News Journal Staff Writer

DAYTONA BEACH -- Bethune-Cookman sophomore linebacker Brendan Odom made a few mistakes his freshman year with the Wildcats.

His mother, Brenda Odom, and stepfather, Andrew Jones, made sure he didn't make another one when he wanted to transfer out of B-CU.

"My parents, I guess they like the way Coach (Alvin) Wyatt runs things, and they weren't going to let me transfer," Odom said with a big grin on Wednesday. "Momma wasn't going to let me go. Daddy wasn't going to let me go. So I stayed."

And for that, Odom has been rewarded. He's a sophomore starter capable of playing an outside or inside linebacker position. The 20-year-old's efforts have given the defense a real lift in the team's 2-1 start.

Odom, from the three-traffic-light town of Lake Butler, said he wasn't happy with the limited playing time he received as a freshman last year. He and teammate Julio Sanchez, who eventually left B-CU, had discussed transferring.

"Coach (Wyatt) wanted to redshirt us," Odom said. "I don't know how the subject came up, but we talked about transferring."

Odom describes some of his actions last year as "hard-headed."

"I played last year, but I was hard-headed," Odom said. "I got in trouble. I got suspended for two games for doing stupid things. I learned from it. I had the big head. I thought I was the deal. I got in trouble for not coming to practice, just stupid stuff that I should have known better not to do."

Wyatt thinks back to last season and wishes Odom had backed off his request to play.

"He crushed my heart last year because we really wanted to redshirt him, but he really wanted to play," Wyatt said. "It got to a point that he was contemplating transferring. He felt that he was just that good and he wanted to get on the field. We thought he was a year away. We wanted to have him around for five years. He played sparingly last year, which I thought was a wasted year for him."

But that's in the past. When Odom reported to camp this year he already was penciled in as a starting outside linebacker. However, a hand injury to senior captain Rodney Hughes forced Odom's move to the inside. Wyatt describes Odom's play as "nothing but great for us."

Odom is the third-leading tackler on the team with 22 tackles, three behind leader Bobbie Williams, a senior free safety. Odom shares the team lead of nine solo tackles with Williams, Josh Balloon and Antwane Cox.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Odom turned down offers from Rice and Florida A&M on signing day in 2006. And despite his thoughts about transferring last year, he now insists he's in the right place.

"I love being a Wildcat," Odom said. "I'm staying here. I want to help keep the young players from making the same mistakes I made as a freshman. I'm very happy here."

And for that, Odom can thank his parents.

That's something the B-CU coaches surely will do the next time they see Odom's mom and dad.

No comments: