Friday, September 7, 2007

Hampton University's Mitchell takes the reins


By MARTY O'BRIEN , Daily Press

Pirates' new starting QB gets first assignment at tough Howard in "the Real HU Classic."

HAMPTON-After almost four seasons with one starting quarterback, Hampton University fans quite naturally wonder if new guy Terry "T.J." Mitchell will pass the leadership test in Saturday's season-opener at Howard. The following anecdote might provide a clue.

Pirates coach Joe Taylor spent much of spring practice searching for his third offensive coordinator in two months. He even brought legendary former Florida A&M coach Billy Joe to town for an interview.

But Mitchell and his offensive teammates took a liking to receivers coach Corey Sullivan, who filled in as coordinator during the spring. Upon hearing that Billy Joe or someone else might replace Sullivan, Mitchell sprung into action.

"I grabbed a couple of guys from the other offensive segments and walked into Coach Taylor's office," said Mitchell, a 6-foot-3, 190-pound sophomore. "I told him I felt like Coach Sullivan was the best guy for the job. I said he was a hard worker and a competitive guy who would push us, but treat us like men.

"I said we didn't need to change our offense. Coach Taylor is like a father-figure, the kind of guy who will listen to what you're saying and take it into consideration."

Taylor stopped the job search immediately and handed the offense to Sullivan.

"The team belongs to the players," Taylor said. "Coaches are service stations: We're there to refuel and give guidance. We felt Coach Sullivan had been doing a fine job, but T.J. took control and made sure I knew the players felt he was their guy.

"He's got the mentality of a leader."

Hampton fans who made the trip to Birmingham, Ala. for the game against Grambling State last September knew that already. When fourth-year starter Princeton Shepherd cramped in the second half, Mitchell replaced him at quarterback and led the Pirates to a 27-26 overtime victory.

He struggled early, but led a comeback with touchdown passes in the fourth quarter and overtime. Mitchell had never before taken a snap in college.

"When they told me I had to go into the game, I was so nervous I could hardly find my helmet," said Mitchell, who transferred to Hampton 13 months ago from West Virginia. "I hadn't even had any practice repetitions with the first team.

"After the first hit, the jitters went away. That game really helped my confidence level."

Mitchell started the homecoming game against Winston-Salem while Shepherd sat out with a minor injury. He completed 17-of-27 passes for 144 yards and a touchdown in the Pirates' 13-3 victory.

He assumed the starting role when Shepherd exhausted his eligibility after a 2006 season in which the Pirates went 10-2 and won a third consecutive MEAC title. By spring, a stronger Mitchell was displaying more zip on his passes and a running ability that HU quarterbacks had lacked in recent years.

But the team's offensive coaching carousel made him uncomfortable. Chris Beatty, who had coached Mitchell at Landstown High of Virginia Beach, became an assistant in February at Northern Illinois. Then next coordinator, Charles Bankins, took an assistant's position in April at Richmond.

Sullivan appreciates Mitchell's vote of support.

"I was surprised when I heard he did that," Sullivan said of Mitchell's summit with Taylor. "I felt confident I could do the job. But I believe that whatever you're trying to get done, if the kids have confidence in you it will get done.

"And a confident starting quarterback is huge."

Self-assurance will be particularly important at Howard's Green Stadium, the site this year for the showdown known as "the Real HU Classic." A standing room only crowd of about 10,000 is expected at the tiny facility, where the Pirates often struggle.

The Bison fans can be unkind to opposing quarterbacks, but Mitchell is unfazed.

"I know the crowd will be on our back, and it will be so condensed we'll be able to see people eating popcorn and hot dogs," he said. "But you block all that out on the snap of the ball.

"I've always played quarterback, so I've always had guys counting on me. I've always wanted to put guys on my back and win."

No comments: