Monday, September 24, 2007

Q&A with legendary W.C. Gorden--former JSU head football coach

Photo: For 15 years, W.C. Gorden headed the Jackson State football team. Gorden, here talking to defensive back Carl Tart during the 1990 JSU-Grambling game, compiled a remarkable 123 wins.

By David Brandt, Special to The Clarion-Ledger

W.C. Gorden was the most successful football coach in Jackson State history, winning 123 games over a 15-year span from 1976 to 1991. Gorden, now 77 years old, still lives in Jackson and is active in the community.

Q: What are you doing these days?

A: Well, I serve on about five different board of directors including the Make-A-Wish foundation and Pearl River Valley Water Supply District. It's something I really enjoy doing. For 40 years, I saw things as an educator and now I'm getting another perspective from a business and political side. It's all very interesting and for the most part I think everybody works together very well. Honestly, it's a lot like athletics. You win some and lose some, but you play by the rules and try not to alienate yourself because you never know when someone you're fighting against might become an ally.

Q: It's year two of JSU football coach Rick Comegy. What do you think of his program?

A: I'm fortunate enough to get to talk to coach Comegy quite a bit. I'm very impressed with the way he's jumped right into the business aspect of the community and really is working to do things for Jackson State. In these days, a head coach has to be much more than a football man - and that's exactly what coach Comegy is. This summer, he brought poor kids onto campus and had a football camp. Things like that are really strengthening the program. And I think in time his teams will be very good. It just takes a while to build a program to where there's a family aspect involved.

Q:You've been outspoken about wanting to keep Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium instead of building a new stadium on campus. Why?

A: Because Veterans Memorial Stadium is one of the largest Division I-AA stadiums in the country and is in a great part of our town. Jackson State is an urban university and I think our borders go beyond the four or five blocks on campus. There's not a bad seat in the place and there's plenty of parking. I wish the city would set aside the stadium as a green space. Maybe they could get rid of a parking lot and make a park. Then they could really celebrate the history of Mississippi football with some kind of exhibit around the stadium. I just think it's a great facility with a lot of history and I'd hate to see it go.

Q: The SWAC doesn't get an automatic bid to the I-AA playoffs because of the SWAC championship game, Bayou Classic and Turkey Day Classic. Do you see things changing?

A: Well, much has changed in the past 20 or so years, but you've got to understand that a lot of us were pretty disenchanted by the I-AA playoffs by the time we got out. We'd play Alcorn State the week before Thanksgiving and play in front of about 45,000 people. Then we'd make the playoffs, have to practice over Thanksgiving, and then travel somewhere like Sam Houston State and play in front of about 8,000 people. That was hard for our players to get psyched up for. But I can see the appeal of wanting to play for a national championship. Hopefully, Division I-AA can do a better job of promoting the playoffs if the SWAC does get back into it.

Q: What's the thing you miss most about coaching?

A: I'll tell you what I don't miss: That feeling on Sunday after you lost a game. After 40 years of coaching I really got my fill of football. But there is one thing I miss - it's that look on a player's face when he realizes that all that weight lifting and hard work in the off-season paid off and he made a game-saving tackle or a catch that helped us win a football game. Those were some very special moments.

No comments: