Thursday, September 13, 2007

SSU's Justiniano gets a "kick" out of football

By Noell Barnidge, Savannah Morning News

Savannah State kicker Luis Justiniano moved from Bolivia to the United States in 2003 in search of a better life.

"Me and my mom flew to the States for me to get a better opportunity," he said. "And it's something that I've found at Savannah State."

Justiniano and his mother, Maria Lola Saldama, lived in Miami for six months before they settled in Bluffton, S.C., where he attended Bluffton High School.

During his senior season in 2005, his mother had to return to work in Miami, where she now lives, so Justiniano moved in with the family of the Bobcats' quarterback at the time.

At first, Justiniano watched Bluffton's football practices and counted the minutes until they would end so he could ride home with the quarterback. Eventually, the lifelong soccer player became intrigued with football. "The coaches knew I played soccer, so I figured why not (try football)? I might as well," he said.

The Bobcats did not attempt a field goal during Justiniano's only season of football, but he did handle kickoffs, extra points and punts.

"My first game ever in football, I didn't know how much a field goal was worth," he said, smiling. "I didn't know when I was supposed to go in the game. I actually had a couple of friends who were like, 'Luis, go in.' I got yelled at one time because the coaches were calling for the punt team and I didn't know it was me. I got yelled at and we had to call timeout."

After graduating, Justiniano gave up football and attended Armstrong Atlantic State. But AASU does not have a men's soccer program, and he missed organized sports. The 6-foot-1, 208-pound sophomore transferred to SSU this year and made the football team as a walk-on.

In the Tigers' 24-10 victory over Johnson C. Smith last Saturday, he attempted a field goal for the first time in his life during a game and made it. Justiniano's 41-yard field goal was SSU's first since Nov. 5, 2005, at Coastal Carolina. The Tigers did not attempt a field goal last season. It also was SSU's longest field goal since 2002.

"It feels pretty awesome," he said, moments after the victory. "It feels good to know that Coach (Theo) Lemon trusts me enough to kick."

Justiniano also made all three of his extra-point attempts, and he handled SSU's kickoffs. He attempted a 47-yard field goal, but the ball was deflected and fell wide left.

When SSU (1-1) plays host to Bethune-Cookman (1-1) at 1 p.m. Saturday at Memorial Stadium, Lemon said he intends to give Justiniano the call if an offensive drive stalls and the Tigers are within field-goal range.

"We'll go to Justiniano a lot this season," Lemon said. "I have a lot of confidence in him. I think he's going to be a star here."

Lemon was so impressed with Justiniano that he offered the walk-on a partial scholarship. Justiniano, who is majoring in electrical engineering, works part time at Domino's Pizza in order to make ends meet.

"I got a little bit of scholarship money," he said, "But it wasn't enough to cover all of my books. I had to get a book for a class and it cost $140, and it's a used book!"

Justiniano's mother has to work each Saturday at a Rooms to Go furniture store in Miami, so she can not attend his games.

"I'm not sure if she's going to be able to make it to any of my games," he said.
Justiniano's father, Walter Justiniano, sister and brother live in Bolivia. "I told my sister to type in my name in Google and it shows up on ESPN," he said, smiling.

After SSU's win against JCSU, Justiniano called his mother and shared his good news. He hopes to continue calling with news of SSU victories.

No comments: