Friday, October 5, 2007

JSU Strength coach has Hornet past


By David Brandt, Clarion Ledger

THE JSU GAME
What: vs. Alabama State
When: Saturday, 3 p.m.
Radio: WOAD (1300 AM); WYFS (105.9FM)

Jackson State strength and conditioning coach Derek Scott is usually an energetic guy anyway.

Mix in a game with his alma mater Alabama State, who the Tigers host Saturday, and you get that same energy multiplied by two.

"I haven't been able to sleep any this week," Scott said. "I have played this game over in my head a thousand times. Even the weekend we played Valley, I had a dream about this game, but I had to stay focused."

Scott arrived at JSU in June after serving the past 11 years as strength and conditioning coach at Alabama State, where he played.

"This game has been marked on my calendar since the day I left," Scott said. "I can't really explain how I feel. It's kinda like an out of body experience, but at the same time I'm excited. I'm taking it kinda personal this week because those are my old stomping grounds. That's where I got my start, but my loyalty and love is at Jackson State."

Scott is one of two JSU assistants with ties to the Hornets. Offensive line coach Bruce Johnson spent four years at Alabama State before coming to JSU in 2006.

"It's going to be a good competitive game, but when it's all said and done, you're going to see the Tigers growling," Scott said.

OH SO SPECIAL

JSU has been splendid on returns so far this season, leading the SWAC in both kickoff and punt returns.

The Tigers are averaging 30.5 yards per kickoff return (1 TD) and 18.6 yards per punt return (1 TD).

"We have put in a whole lot of work on the field and a whole lot of time in meetings on that," said JSU coach Rick Comegy.

OPEN WIDE

Jackson State will play Saturday without tight end Cedric Dixon, who had a tooth pulled last week.

"That tooth is still bothering him so we aren't going to take any chances," Comegy said.

No comments: