Wednesday, October 3, 2007

JSU Tigers' TE would trade all aliases for catches

Photo: Antoine Ott-Terrell, JSU

By Rod Walker, Clarion Ledger

For now at least, Jackson State tight end Antoine Ott-Terrell has more nicknames than receptions.

There's Lew Alcindor, pinned on him by his offensive line coach because of his resemblance to the player more commonly known as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

And Steve Harvey. "People say I looked like him when I had my afro," says Ott-Terrell with a laugh.

And O-T. And simply Twan.

"And I have some that you can't put in the newspaper," the sophomore added.

But while the nicknames have been plentiful, the receptions haven't been. Ott-Terrell caught his first two passes of the season in the Tigers' last game, a 50-16 blowout victory over Mississippi Valley State. He hopes to add to that total Saturday when Jackson State (2-2, 2-0 in the SWAC) hosts Alabama State (4-1, 3-1) at 3 p.m.

"It felt like I got a monkey off my back," said Ott-Terrell, all smiles as he reminisced about his first catch. "(Quarterback) Jimmy (Oliver) put the ball on the money and I went and grabbed it and brought it in."

It was Ott-Terrell's first reception in an actual game in three years. Before then, his last catch was in 2004 as a senior at Lahser High (Mich.).

It was at Lahser that Ott-Terrell excelled in football and basketball - "eighteen points and 10 rebounds," he boasts - and in the classroom.

The computer engineering major considered playing basketball at some smaller schools in Michigan and also at Ivy League member Princeton, but instead decided to walk on and play football at Tennessee.

"I love football because it's more of a team game," he said.

After a redshirt season and his freshman year in 2006 where he never touched the field, he transferred to JSU.

"This was the best situation for me," said Ott-Terrell, whose parents are Jackson State alums. "This gave me an opportunity to succeed in football. It's different, but my focus is still there and my drive is still there. I'm just going out every day and making sure that I take care of the things I need to take care of to contribute to the team. The location has changed. I'm in the SWAC now, not the SEC, but mentally I'm still the same hard-working guy."

And JSU coaches say the hard work is paying off for Ott-Terrell, who is trying to help the Tigers fill the giant void left after tight end Marcel Frost broke his leg in the spring game.

"He has height and he is getting better each week," said JSU coach Rick Comegy. "He's getting stronger in the weight room as we go along. I think he is going to be a premier tight end. I don't think right now he is in the class of a Frost, but I think he is developing into that type of a guy. Time will tell."

And according to JSU offensive line coach Bruce Johnson, Ott-Terrell doesn't mind putting in that time.

"He has some big shoes to fill, but he's constantly watching film and trying to get better," said Johnson. "He's going to be a very good one when it's all said and done. It's all starting to fall in place for him now. His attitude and demeanor is a little different from Frost, though. Frost knows his potential and is a little more cocky. Antoine is a little more humble and reserved."

But don't be surprised if that reserved demeanor escapes Ott-Terrell soon. Especially if he somehow finds his way into the end zone of Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.

"Yeah, I've thought about that," he said. "That's next on the list. I know things will come and whatever is meant to be is meant to be. I'll just be waiting and looking every ball in that comes my way and make the most of it. I'll have to say a silent prayer to myself to make sure I don't get a (celebration) penalty."

No comments: