Friday, April 4, 2008

Bethune Cookman coach on track to better things

Photo: Bethune Cooman University head track and field coach Garfield Ellenwood.

The odds were not in Garfield Ellenwood's favor.

Those who fall off the mountain don't usually climb back up. But Ellenwood, Bethune-Cookman's track and field coach, just needed to find the right path.

He thought it was football. In 1993, Ohio State offered a scholarship to the star receiver at Ben Franklin High in Rochester, N.Y. But he blew it.

"I had some trouble throughout high school, but toward the end it got really bad," Ellenwood said. "I was in the street doing things I had no business doing. I got in fights in school. I got suspended. I actually got sent to alternative school right after football for two months. I was able to get back into my high school and graduate. But a lot of the offers got taken away."

CONTINUE READING, CLICK BLOG TITLE.

No comments: