Saturday, July 26, 2008

TSU Cole rebuilds teams and his reputation

He lands SWAC job with fresh slate from NCAA

BIRMINGHAM - Johnnie Cole is a fixer-upper. The new head coach at Texas Southern has developed a reputation of rebuilding ailing football programs. He did it at Tennessee State along with his brother, L.C. Then he did it at Alabama State and, most recently, at Division II Lane College in Jackson, Tenn.

Now Cole is embarking on perhaps his biggest rebuilding project yet - trying to revitalize the moribund program at his alma mater, Texas Southern, which was 0-11 last season. "I'm in familiar territory," Cole said Tuesday during the Southwestern Athletic Conference's annual Media Day and Kickoff Luncheon. "I joke with people that I don't know if I could take a job that was already established. I can put my brand on it and implement the same system we've had in other places."

CONTINUE READING, CLICK BLOG TITLE.

No comments: