Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Fierce Competitor: Sprinter Dix eyes medal

Excerpt:

Washington Dix, a former sprinter at Bethune-Cookman University and a longtime (Florida) prep track coach, recognized something special in his youngest son from his first organized race. Walter was 7 at the time. And he lost. "He was standing there crying," Washington Dix recalled after Anthony Gaines, who went on to play football and run track at South Florida, bested Walter. "I said, ‘Hey. It's time to get busy with this kid; he really wants to win.'"

"When I was younger, I used to cry a lot when I lost," Walter said. "I don't know why I hate to lose so much." "When he ran 9.93 with no wind in Sacramento at the NCAAs," Boldon said, "he became world-class that day, in my eyes." "Walt is one of those special people who's the total package." In the eyes of sponsors, too. Dix was offered millions to leave school and turn professional, but he wanted to finish his degree in social science and help FSU go for a third straight national title. He did both.

Coral Springs, Florida native Walter Dix is heading to Beijing in search of a gold medal in the Summer Olympic Games. The former Florida State Seminole will run in the 100 and 200 meters.

Walter Dix - 200m FINAL U.S. Olympic Track Trials 2008

Olympian Walter Dix Press Conference - Part I

Olympian Walter Dix Press Conference - Part II


CONTINUE READING, CLICK BLOG TITLE.

No comments: