Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dallas Cowboys' Marcus Dixon 'to make an impact'

IRVING, Texas -- Marcus Dixon (Hampton University) knows all about wanting -- and waiting -- to prove himself. After spending parts of his first two seasons on the practice squad, the Dallas Cowboys defensive end has high hopes to make it on the 53-man roster. "He's really reshaped his career as a football player," coach Wade Phillips said. "The first day he came in, two years ago, he couldn't run one lap without collapsing. Now he's on special teams runs and he's up to 294 now, and he was 270 when he came in."

Dixon will have steady competition for an end spot that is occupied by starters Marcus Spears and Igor Olshansky. The backups are Jason Hatcher and Stephen Bowen. Spears, Hatcher and Bowen are currently in the final year of their contracts. It's something Dixon has noticed. "My mindset is it's got to be my year," Dixon said. "This is a league of 'What have you done for me lately?' I know the coaches and the owner like me and they kept me, but it's still a league of 'What have you done for me lately?' I've been here. I got to show them something. I got to get this done and stay healthy, and I got to showcase my talents because I want to be here."

READ MORE, CLICK TITLE.

No comments: