Saturday, May 22, 2010

Division I dream comes true for GSU recruit McIver

Killen High School (Texas) Volleyball star Tiara McIver selected the GSU Lady Tigers over offers from Tarleton State, Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M. The 5-10/145 left-handed spiker plans to major in English/Language Arts Teacher Education.

After two months of waiting for a response — any response — Tiara McIver would've given Grambling State "another week or two weeks or so," the Killeen High senior, affectionately known as "Tree," said. McIver got the response she was looking for from Lady Tigers coach Kim Young. Then, the Lady Roos outside hitter received her invitation to visit the Grambling, La., campus and was finally offered her opportunity to play Division I volleyball, which she accepted Friday in the Killeen High School gymnasium by signing her national letter of intent.

"I thought she was going to e-mail the next day. I really did ... but she didn't," McIver said. "I would check my e-mail all the time, I asked my mom to check my e-mail all the time when I was in school. I thought she was going to contact me back right then. "As soon as I heard from her, it was just a sigh of relief," said McIver, who posted 198 kills, 22 aces, 254 digs and 87 blocks as a senior and Killeen's only all-district first team selection.

McIver assumed the delayed response was because of the Lady Tigers' Southwest Athletic Conference (SWAC) tournament finals appearance and other end-of-season requirements. Whatever the reason, McIver said she never gave up on earning a Division I scholarship, despite receiving numerous offers from smaller schools. That goal was made all the more difficult by the Lady Roos' struggles. Killeen hasn't made the playoffs since 2004 and has a combined six district wins (of 30) and one winning season in the last three years. So McIver created a profile on the website berecruited.com and contacted Young via e-mail shortly after her final prep season at Killeen, where she finished as a three-year starter and the District 16-4A MVP blocker as a sophomore.

READ MORE, CLICK TITLE.

No comments: