Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fayetteville State Broncos sign future stars

Football star makes decision to play for FSU


Manteo, N.C. -- Manteo High School's C. J. Bailey accepted a full scholarship to Fayetteville State University and will play football for the school next year. “I was so excited when I got the news,” Bailey said. “I told my parents, and my mom freaked out and started kissing me and my dad was so proud.” Bailey has played football for the Redskins for four years. As a freshman, he played on the JV team. However, he has been on the varsity team for the past three years. “Football has [always] been my favorite sport,” Bailey said. “I really like scoring touchdowns and getting sacks. I really like the running back position too, I’ve played it for a long time and I get to score.”

“CJ has finished his career with 3,647 yards rushing, 40 touch downs, had a total of 366 tackles, 7 sacks, and 4 fumble recoveries. He has also been All-Conference for the past 2 years and was MVP for the past 2 years. CJ was the Four Rivers conference player of the year this year. All of these things are statistics that show he can play at that level. I think the most important thing is that he is just an all around good kid and a great leader,” head football coach Eddie Twyne said.
Bailey cites dedication and determination as two of the main reasons for how he go to where he is today. “I had to work hard and commit myself to get to the point that I am at,” Bailey said. While attending FSU, Bailey plans pursue a degree in physical education.

During the 2009 season, the 5-11/205 running back had 184 carries for 2,002 yards and 25 touchdowns--a whooping 10.88 yards per carry average. C.J. longest run was 94 yards. On defense, playing at line backer position, C.J. had 55 solo tackles, assisted on 82 others for a 137 season total. On special teams, Bailey averaged 62.8 years on five returns, and had one return of 95 yards. Too say the least, this fellow can play football! CJ lead Manteo High School in 2009 to a 12-1 season record and the second round of the Class 1-A state playoffs.

Tiffany Locklear Signs with Broncos!



PEMBROKE, N.C. - When it came down for Purnell Swett's High School Tiffany Locklear to chose a college to continue her softball career at, she wanted to find one that felt like a family. Locklear believes she found what she was looking for when she signed a letter of intent to attend Fayetteville State. "They have a good softball program and the coach Miguel Justiniano is easy to get along with," said Locklear. "It felt not only like a softball team, but a family. It's not too far down the road so my family can come support me and watch most of my home games."

Besides the campus' proximity to her home, Locklear was looking for an opportunity to play as a freshman. "There's an opportunity to play there at shortstop," Locklear said. "The coach came to a couple of my games and has assigned me to shortstop. It's right there for me." The senior is currently hitting .424 with a double and 13 runs batted in for the Rams, who are the No. 3 seed out of the Southeastern Conference. Locklear also plays with the Dixie Diamondbacks, a traveling softball team. She hit .408 last summer and helped the team to finish first in four of the eight tournaments the team played in, as well as a third place finish in the World Fastpitch Connection A Class World Series.

Purnell Swett coach James Graves said Locklear has been a pleasure to coach because she puts the team above her personal achievements.

READ MORE, CLICK EACH TITLE.

No comments: