Saturday, May 8, 2010

Former UCLA 5-Star Recruit Signs With Mississippi Valley St‎ate

Mississippi Valley State University signed its first 5-star recruit since NFL Hall of Famer Jerry Rice playing days at the Valley. Chicago's Jerome Harris Jr. was ranked as the number one basketball point guard in the recruiting Class of 2009 by some recruiting services and opted out of UCLA.

Former UCLA recruit Jerome Harris, who left Ben Howland's program early in the season due to qualifying issues has signed to play for Mississippi Valley State of the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC). Harris who was expected to be a one and done type of prospect is in route for a huge season at MVSU. Harris who left the program in November spent time at Spoon River Junior College, was rated as one of the top 3 juco point guards in the country.

MVSU Head Coach is former Kentucky standout point guard Sean Woods who spent some time in the NBA. Woods says Harris is a big time talent that can really make a name for himself this season as he has one of the toughest preseason schedules next season. Harris chose Mississippi Valley State over Texas, Minnesota, and USC.

Prior to signing at UCLA, Harris Jr., received offers from Central Michigan, St. Johns, Ohio State, Rutgers, UAB, Arizona, Florida State and Indiana University, among many other major programs too numerous to name.

The 6'-3" point guard, five-star recruit out of Collins High School (Chicago, IL), posses as one of the top players in the Midwest. ''I think I have great point guard skills,'' he said. "It's not rare, but I think I can be one of the ones to succeed. Although Harris is not banking on a future in the NBA, he does consider it a possibility. ''I think about it a lot, he said. I think if it did happen, that's a good life. I just have to work hard. I can never wake up one day and be like, `I'm this' or `I'm that.' "No matter where I'll be, even if I get to the NBA, I'll always keep working. You can always get better.''

READ MORE, CLICK TITLE.

No comments: