Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A&M's Jones, Texas Southern's Cole exchange words

HOUSTON, TX - Alabama A&M coach Anthony Jones and Texas Southern coach Johnnie Cole exchanged words after the game was over and had to be separated. Jones said Cole said something to him and everything became chaotic.

"He said I was disrespecting him and his program," Jones said. "When I asked him for an explanation, one of his guys starting pushing me. I didn't throw a punch. I didn't try to throw a punch. I asked Johnnie what he was talking about and I told him he was being disrespectful.

"He ran off and the guy pushed me and (A&M sports information director) Brandon (Willis). Johnnie came back and I told him we could talk and people started grabbing me."

Alabama A&M, Butler High collaborate on The Hill Project - Class ...


HUNTSVILLE, AL - Madison County District Judge Lynn Sherrod knows what happens too often to high-school dropouts. They show up in her courtroom.

"There's a direct correlation between school performance and delinquent behavior," said Sherrod, who tries juvenile court cases. In the prison population, "an overwhelming percentage did not graduate from high school," she said.

With that in mind, Sherrod spearheaded a recent trip to Alabama A&M University for freshmen at Butler High School. About half the class of 180 spent the day attending workshops on decision making and preparing for college as well as touring the campus.

Offensive outburst fuels TSU past Alabama A&M

Texas Southern stumbled like a punch-drunk boxer for three quarters against Alabama A&M on Saturday, landing only occasional jabs. The Tigers, however, had plenty left in the tank to deliver the knockout blow in the final period.

With an aggressive defense leading the way, TSU forced two turnovers and broke open a close game with 20 points in the fourth quarter to sprint past the Bulldogs 32-9 before 6,347 at Delmar Stadium.

No comments: