Saturday, January 1, 2011

Texas Southern signs Chicago star basketball player Kenny Stevenson

Seton Academy's Kenny Stevenson Jr., a sharp shooting 6-2/175 combo guard, attended prep school in New Jersey and will enroll at Texas Southern University for the upcoming semester. Kenny  was coached by his well-respected father, who served as the school's athletic director and head coach, leading the program to the 2009 IHSA Class 2A State Championship.

Chicago, IL - Former Seton Academy basketball star Kenny Stevenson doesn't mind sitting out a semester. Stevenson, a 2010 Seton grad, will enroll at Texas Southern University after spending a semester at Central Jersey Each One Teach One in Somerset, N.J.

"I think it will make me better, because I will have that much more time to learn the plays and the system," Stevenson said. "I know they are graduating a few guards, so if I work hard, I think I will have a chance to play right away."

Right away is the 2011-2012 season. Stevenson originally committed and signed with Illinois-Chicago, but when coach Jimmy Collins retired, he decided to look elsewhere.


Videographer: danpon1 (Kenny Stevenson (Seton) Highlights and Interview with Daniel Poneman)

Seton basketball coach Ken Stevenson leaving school

Ken Stevenson is the reigning Chicago Catholic League and Illinois Times Coach of the Year (2009).  Sevenson was 106-75 in seven years in building Seton's program from scratch.

He came, he saw, he conquered.

Now, he's moving on. After starting a boys basketball program from scratch when Seton Academy went coed in the fall of 2003 and leading the Sting to a Class 2A state championship last spring, Ken Stevenson told The Times on Wednesday that he has resigned as head coach. He'll also step down from the athletic director's position at the end of the school year.

"I'm going to leave the whole shebang," Stevenson said. "I've had seven wonderful years at Seton Academy. I had the opportunity to build a program to my liking, but I just felt it was time for me to do something a little different.

Ken Stevenson named coach at Urban Prep's South Shore campus

Ken Stevenson will be starting from the ground floor again.

He started the boys basketball program at Seton Academy and won the Class 2A state title in 2009. The Hales Franciscan grad built the Sting into a Class 2A power before stepping down after last season. He was 106-75 in seven years.

Stevenson was named to a similar position at the new Urban Prep Charter Academy for Young Men's South Shore campus. He said he is excited about the challenge of starting a program.

"I believe in giving back, and this is one way to give back is to help develop young men and help guide them in their lives," Stevenson said. "Whether it is city kids, suburban, Seton, Catholic school or public school, I am looking forward to getting the program going and working with these young men."

READ MORE, CLICK EACH TITLE.

No comments: