Friday, February 11, 2011

FAMU Rattlers add depth, replace Ukpai with pair of signings

A week after National Signing Day, Florida A&M added more depth at two positions — quarterback and offensive line — that were on the brink of depletion by the end of last season when the Rattlers ended up sitting sophomore quarterback Martin Ukpai and going on to win a share of the MEAC football championship.

Thursday, Coach Joe Taylor announced the signing of quarterback Damien Fleming, a 6-foot-3, 175-pounder out of Jacksonville Ribault High School. FAMU also signed Ryan Templeton, a highly touted 6-foot-5, 280 pound offensive lineman from Chicago.

The signings give FAMU 24 of 25 players that it recruited leading up to signing day. Taylor also confirmed that Ukpai, whose inconsistencies cost him the starting job in the last three games last season, has left the program. He's now attending a junior college in South Florida, Taylor said.

READ MORE, CLICK TITLE.


Videographer: ospreywill;

Damien Fleming is an athletic quarterback with a live arm who can make all the throws. He is an accurate passer who has the ability to throw in the pocket or on the move & get the ball to his man. Damien has verbally committed to Vanderbilt university over offers from West Virgina & Southern. He has also received interest from Southern Miss, Louisville, Wisconsin, Ole Miss & Middle Tennessee St. Fleming is a 3.3 student and is the captain of the basketball team.

T.F. South's Templeton to play football at Florida A&M

T.F. South senior offensive linemen Ryan Templeton said he is glad he chose a school in Florida. With school canceled Wednesday because of the weather, Templeton couldn't fax his letter of intent to play football for Florida A&M, which is located in Tallahassee. He said he will fax it today or Friday, weather permitting.

"I couldn't even get out of my house," Templeton said. "I called the coaches (at Florida A&M) and told them I would fax it over this week. I am still going there. "Next year at this time, I guess I won't have to worry about snow down in Florida. I hope not."

It's all in the footwork for T.F. South football player Templeton

T.F. South High School's Ryan Templeton, a 6-foot-4, 275-pound senior, signed Wednesday with Floria A&M.

LANSING, IL | Ryan Templeton didn't need to take dance lessons to get his steps down. He just simply worked on his footwork. The 6-foot-4, 275-pound tackle knows he has to be agile as Templeton moves from right tackle to left tackle.

"I've got to be quicker, because on passing downs, I am protecting the blind side for (quarterback) Kevin Hallberg. I always tell him I got his blind side."

Hallberg is confident in his senior classmate. "He does tell me that, and I have all the confidence in Ryan, because I know he will make his blocks," Hallberg said. "He has really worked hard, and I know he lost a lot of weight since his freshman year, and he has just put in a lot of effort to getting better."


Videographer: RattlerBoosters; 2011 Rattler Signing Day Bash - Schedule & Team Analysis pt I

READ MORE, CLICK EACH TITLE.

No comments: