Saturday, July 9, 2011

Lions executive James (Shack) Harris to enter Grambling Sports Hall of Fame

Detroit, MI - Lions senior personnel executive James (Shack) Harris will be inducted into the Grambling Legends Sports Hall of Fame on July 16 in Grambling, La.

Harris, who played quarterback for legendary coach Eddie Robinson, helped Grambling win or share the Southwestern Athletic Conference title in 1965-68 and compiled a 31-9-1 record. In 1969, the Buffalo Bills drafted Harris in the eighth round. In 1974 with the Los Angeles Rams, Harris became the first African-American quarterback to start an NFL conference championship game.

Harris said he was inspired to dream big and play quarterback in 1963, when he watched Martin Luther King Jr. deliver his "I Have a Dream" speech on television. In a released statement, Harris said playing for Robinson at Grambling was "probably the greatest decision I ever made. Coach Robinson told me, in four years I would play quarterback in the NFL -- and I believed him. And I believed in Martin Luther King's words."

READ MORE

No comments: