Sunday, July 24, 2011

Where are They Now? Football proves to be right for Tate

TAZEWELL, Va. — Brandon Tate never expected to play college football. Basketball was his game.

At least that is what he thought. Rick Trickett, who was West Virginia’s offensive line coach at the time, begged to differ. Trickett, who is now in the same position at Florida State, was at a Macon, Miss., high school to recruit a pair of athletes who wound up at Mississippi State.

“I originally thought I would be a basketball player and that changed toward the latter part of my high school career,” Tate said. “He was recruiting those two guys and we had a basketball game. “He was there to see them and he just happened to see me on the basketball court with them.” That was good fortune for both. Tate, a four-sport athlete, caught Trickett’s eye.

“He said, ‘Hey, if you can run and jump like that on a basketball court, I am pretty sure you can do it on the football field’ and he offered me a scholarship right there on the spot,” said Tate, the new head football coach at Tazewell.

Tate wasn’t totally convinced...

READ MORE

No comments: