Sunday, December 18, 2011

Coach Lonnie Bartley Gets 600th Win at Fort Valley State

FORT VALLEY, Georgia - In his 28th season as women's head coach at Fort Valley State University Lonnie Bartley is no stranger to milestones. On Saturday he added another, with his 600th career victory.

The Lady Wildcats topped a resilient West Georgia team 63-56, after leading the Lady Wolves 31-19 at halftime. Carmenonique Dawson led the way for FVSU with 18 points. The victory moves Bartley's team to 6-2 on the season, and adds another impressive figure to the long time coach's resume.

"Had all the teams I coached had the same attitude I have, 600 would've came a long time ago, because I was trying to win every one I coached," Bartley said. "I'm so appreciative that I was able to stay here at my alma mater for 28 years to see 600."

READ MORE



FVSU’s Bartley reaches 600-win milestone

FORT VALLEY, GA -- When he started, canvas Chuck Taylors from Converse were the hot sneaker of choice. In one of his first major recruiting battles, he beat out Pat Summit of Tennessee.

Soon, the plan was one of “one more year” for a while. And now, here is Lonnie Bartley, hundreds of players and hundreds of wins later. The head women’s basketball coach at Fort Valley State has outlasted athletics directors, school presidents and a good many men’s basketball coaches, as well as interims at some of those positions.

One of the results of that consistency and stability is a milestone for both Bartley and his alma mater. The Lady Wildcats knocked off West Georgia 63-56 on Saturday to give Bartley his 600th career win, all at FVSU.

“I got a lot of texts and a lot of calls in the last three or four days,” Bartley said. “I’m glad to get it out of the way.”

READ MORE

No comments: