Friday, December 2, 2011

Coats has J.C. Smith covered on defense

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Mike Coats is thriving in the center of Johnson C. Smith's defense.

The Golden Bulls' middle linebacker leads Smith in tackles (71) and interceptions (three) going into Saturday's Pioneer Bowl against SIAC champion Miles (Ala.) College in Columbus, Ga.

Statistically, J.C. Smith (5-5) has improved to 71st in Division II in total defense at 362.2 yards allowed compared to last year's team, which ranked 124th at 405.5. First-year coordinator Craig Cox's emphasis on speed and pressure suits Coats, a 6-foot, 230-pound junior.

"It's the scheme we play," Coats said. "I'm more comfortable with what we're playing and I know everything we're doing. It's simple and the more comfortable I am, I know I play better.

READ MORE

No comments: