Saturday, June 2, 2012

Aiken's Payton signs with Prairie View A&M University

AIKEN, South Carolina - Justin Payton and the Aiken High tennis team came up one win short of a state title this year, but Payton's tennis career is far from over. The Hornet senior signed his letter of intent Wednesday to play at Prairie View A&M University in Prairie View, Texas.

Payton said that he chose the Division I Panthers over Florida A&M, Coastal Carolina, Xavier University of Louisiana  and Benedict College because of how the team can help him improve as a player.

"I really liked the campus," he said. "I feel like the team is going to make me better."  Payton said the coaching staff guaranteed him a spot in the Panthers' top five. He added the combination of experienced players at Prairie View and his deep playoff runs with the Hornets will help the Panthers' pursuit of Southwestern Athletic Conference titles.

"I feel like me going to the university as a freshman, and the team has a bunch of leaders," he said of the Panthers, who will only lose one senior from this year's team.

READ MORE

No comments: