Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Digital Harbor grad Davon Usher headed to Mississippi Valley

BALTIMORE, Maryland - Waiting two years for a shot at Division I basketball was something Davon Usher had accepted over time. But the six extra weeks the former Digital Harbor star spent hoping for that elusive DI offer seemed nearly interminable.

Usher, a 6-foot-6, 190-pound wing, had a solid junior college career at Polk State College in Winter Haven, Fla., averaging around nine points and seven rebounds for the Eagles as a sophomore. North Carolina Central, Western Illinois, San Jose State, Quinnipiac and North Carolina A&T were among the many DI programs interested in the former Rams standout, but reluctant to offer a scholarship.

“[Some] of the schools talking to me, they didn’t really have confidence I was going to finish up my degree, which I did,” Usher said. “I was just thinking at times, feeling as though I’m not good enough for them. [I thought], ‘Why are they turning me down?’”

The one school that wouldn’t turn Usher down was Mississippi Valley State, a SWAC school located ...

READ MORE

No comments: