Saturday, June 2, 2012

Florida's Crawford throws no-no vs Bethune-Cookman

GAINESVILLE, Florida -- Jonathon Crawford was nearly perfect for Florida. Turned out the Gators right-hander was plenty good enough to make some college baseball history.  Crawford threw the seventh no-hitter ever in the NCAA tournament, shutting down Bethune-Cookman in a 4-0 victory in the opener of the Gainesville Regional on Friday night.

"When I came out for the eighth, I got really nervous and excited and that's when it hit me that I could get a no-hitter," Crawford said. "I was pumped. It was crazy, but a lot of fun. I guess it's a pretty big deal."  No doubt about it.

Crawford, a sophomore who wasn't even part of the Gators' three-man weekend rotation this season, faced the minimum 27 batters. The only player to reach base was Bethune-Cookman's Jake Welch on a walk in the third inning, and Florida catcher Mike Zunino threw him out trying to steal.

READ MORE

No comments: