Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Driven Driver: Campus Magnet lineman commits to Alabama A&M

QUEENS, New York - James Driver’s route to a Division I scholarship was as unpredictable as a wild Campus Magnet victory. The mammoth offensive tackle entered the Queens school with zero football experience. After a standout four-year career, he was headed to JUCO Lackawanna, not because of any academic shortcomings but lack of Division I interest.

He entered the Empire Challenge, the annual all-star game pitting the top seniors from New York City against their Long Island counterparts, resigned to his situation. He didn’t feel any better after the city’s lopsided loss to Long Island.

Little did the 18-year-old from South Jamaica realize his life was about to change. A friend of Alabama A&M offensive coordinator Cedric Pearl was at the game and left impressed with the 6-foot-7, 315-pound Driver. Pearl saw film of the game and was equally taken with the offensive lineman. A week and a few phone calls later, Driver had the Division I scholarship he sought.

“Honestly, words can’t describe how surprised I am,” said The Post’s All-Queens first team selection who plans to study criminal justice and forensics at Alabama A&M. “I’ve had a smile on my face ever since [I committed]. It’s really happening. I’m loving this Division I dream.”

READ MORE

No comments: