Friday, July 13, 2012

Savannah State University grad Jones in Olympics

SAVANNAH, Georgia -- Former Savannah State track and field standout Amara Jones has qualified as an alternate for the 2012 Bahamian National Olympic Team in the 4x100 meter relay event. She will travel with the team to London for the 2012 Olympics.

During the training camp phase, commencing next week, Jones will join the team in training as coaches Diane Woodside, David Charlton, Henry Rolle, and Ronald Cartwright finalize the six women that will represent the Bahamas. During the qualification period, Jones’ 4x100-meter team had the fastest time for the Bahamas in the qualification period.



“I’m just happy I have the opportunity,” Jones said. “This is a dream come true and I think one of the biggest things for me is being able to learn from our veterans. I have been so blessed this year and the experience alone is an achievement for me. I just have to keep working hard.”

During Jones’ tenure at Savannah State, she set school records in the women’s 200m, and 400m dashes, and was on the team that set a new school record in the 4x100m relay. She was the first Savannah State female ...

READ MORE

No comments: