Friday, August 31, 2012

17-TD runner gets ready for senior season at VUU

RICHMOND, Virginia - After completing a four-year letterman campaign at Westwood High School in Fort Pierce, Fla., Jerrell Washington was on his way to the military until he got a phone call.

"Coach (Calvin) Randall gave me a call and told me that he wanted me to come up (to Virginia Union)," Washington said. "So I came up without a visit. "At first, I was like 'OK' but then after awhile, I got used to it and I felt welcomed. And that's the big thing that really helped me here."

For Washington, moving to Richmond was culture shock. Fort Pierce, with a population of 37,516, is in St. Lucie County, located between Orlando and Miami. The Richmond metro area has 205,533 people.

"Here in Richmond, there are city buses. In Fort Pierce, they don't have that. To get around, we'll either walk or ride bikes, so to me, Richmond is a real city," Washington said. "It was amazing to get out of Fort Pierce and see something bigger and better."

READ MORE

No comments: