Saturday, September 1, 2012

FAMU's Joe Taylor climbs higher in record books


TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Joe Taylor was attending a press conference in Nashville a few weeks ago to promote Saturday’s game between FAMU and Tennessee State when John Merritt’s name came up in a conversation that Taylor wasn’t expecting.

The game is a classic named in Merritt’s honor, but until he was informed, Taylor didn’t know that he could surpass the legendary black college coach with just six victories this season. Such a milestone would make Taylor the second-winningest HBCU coach.

“I didn’t start this thing off by saying let’s see how many championships I could win or how many records I could set,” Taylor said. “I went with the idea of how much I can give back because somebody helped me.

“You can’t lose sight. You have to be concerned about these young men because when they grow the program grows.”

READ MORE

No comments: