Monday, October 29, 2012

WSSU's Maynor heading home a winner

WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina  --  When Connell Maynor went back home to Fayetteville in 2010, he was a rookie head coach for a Winston-Salem State team coming off a one-win season.

When he returns again Saturday, he'll be accompanied by the most dominant football program in the CIAA.

Much has changed since Maynor left Fayetteville State after a successful 10-year run as an assistant on Kenny Phillips' staff.

The second-ranked Rams (9-0, 6-0 CIAA) already have clinched a berth in the CIAA championship game. They'll close their regular season Saturday against the struggling Broncos.

"I have a lot of family and friends there," Maynor said of Fayetteville. "I think I've proven that I can coach football. I coached there for 10 years, and I've got a lot of history with those guys and Kenny Phillips, and he's like a brother to me."

READ MORE

No comments: