Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Lake Weir 'Canes Meggie commits to Savannah State

OCALA, Florida -- For the first time since 1990, Lake Weir High School will have a lineman sign with an NCAA Division I school.

Linton Meggie recently committed to Savannah State and will sign with the NCAA D-I FCS program on National Signing Day this Wednesday.

Meggie, who plans to major in computer science, has played football for just two years but has made quite an impact in a short period of time.

He’ll be the first lineman from LWHS to sign with a school this high up on the NCAA ladder since Stacy Yopp, who played both offense and defense for the Hurricanes, inked a deal with Naval Academy 23 years ago.

“It’s big to know that I am the first one in over 20 years to do this,” Meggie said. “I never expected this and I didn’t think that I’d ever get this far.”

For years, potential standout players walked the halls at LWHS but never made it to the practice field, but the Hurricane coaching staff worked diligently to make sure the talented Meggie suited up.

READ MORE 

No comments: