Thursday, February 7, 2013

MRA's McCraney gives Alcorn historic signee



LORMAN, Mississippi  --   Madison Ridgeland Academy (MRA)  kicker/punter Haiden McCraney, first-team punter on the All-State football team, signed with Alcorn State on Wednesday.

Alcorn coach Jay Hopson, who became the first white head football coach in the SWAC this past season, says it was a monumental signing.

“I think it makes a statement, not just statewide but nationwide,” said Hopson. “We have a young man from MRA that will be playing at an HBCU. We think it’s a historic occasion and we are glad he is a Brave. He is a guy who can do it all. ”

McCraney made 13 of 16 field goals, including a 52-yarder for the Patriots this season. He also averaged 43.2 yards per punt, earning first-team honors on The Clarion-Ledger’s All-State team. He says he has kicked a 67-yarder in practice.

“I heard I may be the first academy kid to be recruited for a scholarship, so I know it’s kinda historic,” said McCraney. “I went down there for a visit and I knew that’s where I wanted to be.”



READ MORE

No comments: