Thursday, April 4, 2013

Hampton U. football makes strides toward 2013

HAMPTON — Donovan Rose wouldn't wish Hampton University's 2012 football season on anyone, but said he believes that the program will emerge better for the experience.

"There's no pressure," the Pirates' head coach said earlier this week. "I think right now we've got a great opportunity. I couldn't imagine anything any different. I had to go through what I did, and we're still standing.

"I might have taken a lot of jabs, a lot of blows, like a fighter, but I'm still standing, and I'm stronger. I'm very enthusiastic about the future of the program."

The Pirates have emphasized fundamentals and accountability in spring practice, as an exceptionally young group learns to play together and acclimates themselves to the system.

Hampton holds its annual spring Blue-White game 4:30 p.m. Friday following a day-long free clinic for high school coaches and prospects that's part of the program's outreach to the community and local talent.

No comments: