Friday, April 12, 2013

UMES’ Ramirez says edge this season is in her head

CANTON, Michigan   By all accounts, Anggie Ramirez didn’t have many improvements to make after the 2011-12 season concluded. Her Maryland-Eastern Shore Hawks won the national championship, she was an All-MEAC first-team selection, earned All-American second-team honors and fired the highest single game in the MEAC (277).

However, it was an honor she didn’t get that let her know something was missing.

“After I didn’t make Team Colombia last year, it was a little bit rough,” Ramirez, a native of Bogota, Colombia, said. “I felt like I was a little bit weak, so this year was more about getting together my mental game. I think that was the next step I had to make to becoming a better bowler.”

And so, this star player who also has played volleyball on an international stage, began the process of improving her mental outlook.

“There were doubts in my game and my confidence, as well,” Ramirez said. “So I worked really hard on it. I’ve felt a real change. I just feel better prepared to compete tan I was a year ago.”

Part of that preparation included seeing two sports psychologists, one that normally works with the Maryland-Eastern Shore team and another in Colombia. Apart from the mental aspects, Ramirez also saw on-lane changes that she wasn’t expecting.

No comments: