Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Former Southern pitcher De Leon signs, sent to rookie league

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana  -- A little more than a month ago, Jose De Leon was working to help Southern University reach the postseason as a junior pitcher for the Jaguars.

Now he’s enjoying his first taste of professional baseball with the Los Angeles Dodgers’ rookie-league affiliate in the Arizona League.



De Leon, selected by Los Angeles in the 24th round of the MLB draft, signed with the Dodgers last week and reported directly to the Dodgers’ spring training facility in Glendale, Ariz.

He expects to make his debut in the Arizona League sometime this week.

“I’m just waiting for the chance,” said De Leon, a 6-foot-2, 185-pound right-hander. “I’m looking forward to the chance they give me. I will just follow instructions and do what they tell me to. I’m their property now.”

CONTINUE READING

No comments: