Saturday, June 8, 2013

Kristina Frahm Steps Down as UMES Bowling Coach

COACH KRISTINA FRAHM
 
PRINCESS ANNE, Md. - With a ring for every finger, five-time National Champion Kristina Frahm has decided to step down as the head coach of the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) and return home to Illinois to work in her chosen field of accounting.

"This was a really tough decision, but one that I know is right," Frahm said.  I am heading back home to Illinois, where my family is, to pursue a career in accounting. I now get to work in the other field I am passionate about. I will also start studying to sit for the CPA exam," she said.

Frahm earned a degree in that field from UMES in 2011 and was the University's Bernstein Award winner, the highest academic award the school gives. That same year she won the NCAA Elite 88 Award, the highest academic award given in each sport by the NCAA.  Just recently she completed her M.B.A. from Salisbury University.

"We can't thank Kristina enough," said Director of Athletics Keith Davidson. "When her coach and mentor stepped down she was the chosen person to keep the ship afloat. She did so much more than that, so much more than we expected. She coached us to two more National Championships."

"I appreciate all the support and knowledge I gained from the University. It was a great experience and I am grateful for the opportunity they have given to me," Frahm added.

Frahm is one of the most decorated persons in athletic history at UMES. As a player she won three National Championships, the NCAA in 2008 & 2011 and also won the USBC Collegiate Championship in 2011. She was a four-time All-America performer and a National Rookie of the Year. As a coach she guided the Hawks to another NCAA title in 2012 and another USBC trophy in 2013.

"She has been spectacular," said Davidson. "We are sorry to see her go, but we knew when we made this decision that she was pursuing her M.B.A. and one day would want to return home to her family. We are grateful for the time she gave us and wish her nothing but the best in future."

"I would like to thank Mr. Davidson, Neema Connor, G. Stan Bradley my Assistant Coach Tyler Schmitz and all the athletic staff for all the help and support they have shown me both as a player and as a coach," said an emotional Frahm.

"I also have to thank Sharon Brummell, Doug Dukes and Vince Brummell for instilling in me the confidence to succeed and knowledge to be a better player and coach. They built this program into the powerhouse that it is and I am thrilled that I could be a part of it."

UMES will begin a National search immediately for Frahm's successor. The selected candidate will be just the fourth coach in UMES Bowling history.  "This is probably the best bowling job in the country," Frahm said. "UMES values the sport and values its coaches and athletes, they make it a priority and the next coach will be lucky to work here."


COURTESY UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EASTERN SHORE SPORTS INFORMATION

No comments: