Monday, August 12, 2013

BSC Dawkins' summer regimen: Working hard to get better

JOSEPH DAWKINS
BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE BLUES
(Courtesy BSC Athletics)
BLUEFIELD, West Virginia  --  The basketball bounces in a quiet, hot gym. There are no fans to cheer, no public address system announcing his name.

But Joseph Dawkins is there, hour after hour, getting ready.

The Bluefield State College point guard from New Jersey is spending this summer working on his game, looking ahead to the whistle blowing to start the season about four months from now.

“My motivation is to get better,” Dawkins said in a phone interview from North Carolina. “I want to get better; I want my team to be better. And if I’m better, my team will be better.”

Big Blues head coach Jamaal Jackson said, “He loves to be in the gym. He loves to work out. He knows the only way to get better is to work at it.”

The game itself came naturally to Dawkins. Maybe it’s in his genes.

“I really have a basketball family,” he said. “My grandmother and grandfather played; my uncles, all of that.”

One of those uncles, and a major influence on his life, is Kenny “The Jet” Smith, who scored 9,397 points and dished 4,073 assists with six NBA teams and won two league championships as the point guard for the Houston Rockets.

He’s now a TV basketball analyst, often seen on Inside the NBA on TNT — and he is Dawkins’ unofficial advisor on matters on and off the court.

CONTINUE READING 

No comments: