Monday, August 12, 2013

Former JSU Receiver Rico Richardson is making a splash with the Kansas City Chiefs

 — Each year, it seems, a young, unknown free agent receiver makes a splash in the Chiefs training camp and preseason games after the starters are replaced. A couple of years ago, it was Jeremy Horne. Remember Bobby Sippio?

This year’s version is Rico Richardson, an undrafted free agent from Jackson State, whose flapping ponytail and bursts of speed resemble veteran Dexter McCluster.

“When Rico first came in,” McCluster said, “Jon Baldwin asked, ‘Is that your brother?’ But it’s something about the hair.”


WATCH IN 1080p HD, WR Rico Richardson (JSU) #83

Richardson, the Southwestern Athletic Conference Offensive Player of the Year in 2012, is a long shot to make the Chiefs’ 53-man roster. But he’s overcome the odds before. Richardson wasn’t highly recruited coming out of Natchez, Miss., but enjoyed a productive career at Jackson State, where he was a big-play receiver.

“I guess it was my size, coming out of high school, coming out of college, I was under the radar,” Richardson said, “but all my life I’ve proven everyone wrong, and showed I could do it, and now I’m here.”



CONTINUE READING 

No comments: