Monday, October 7, 2013

LB Detrane Lindsey finds his voice at Southern

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana --  On the Southern football team’s practice fields, a distinct voice can be heard echoing through the sessions every day. And it’s not coming from coach Dawson Odums or any of his assistants.

The voice is that of redshirt junior linebacker Detrane Lindsey.

“It might look like I’m trying to get (the team) going, but I actually need them to get me going,” he said. “Whenever they’re alive, I’m alive. Being vocal is a way to get me going.”

Lindsey’s boisterous persona is encouraged by the coaching staff.

“I have a great linebackers coach (in Lorick Atkinson),” Lindsey said. “He told me that I need to be vocal. He told me that’s the best way. That’s what he wants from all his linebackers — to be vocal.”
And vocal he has been, even taking it to the next level. Even though he’s a starter, he volunteers to participate in scout team defensive drills when a player is needed to fill a void.

“Those are my boys,” he said. “I’m not going to leave them hanging if they need somebody.”

CONTINUE READING

No comments: