Saturday, November 16, 2013

Looking at the world upside down with A&M long snapper Jordan Roman



HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Each Wednesday this football season, we'll meet one of the Alabama A&M Bulldogs, who host Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Saturday at 1 p.m.

Jordan Roman

Year: Senior

Position: Long Snapper

Hometown: Lithonia, Ga.

A&M senior Jordan Roman (Bob Gathany/bgathany@al.com)

High School: Lithonia High

Family: Mother Leila Roman, father Artlas Roman, sister Caitlan Roman, brother Drew Roman.

Major: Sports management.

Why that major? "I want to be around the sports field. I eventually want to work for Nike one day, or be an equipment manager for an NFL or NBA team."

Here's a confession. I helped write a term paper years ago for a friend who was a college long snapper. It got him an A. Have you written about it? "I wrote in my sophomore year in high school. I had to write about something you do different from everybody else. I can't remember the grade but it was good. It was a two-page paper.

"I do remember saying I thought I'd be snapping the ball. But I told how my dad was my little league coach and we never had a snapper so my dad was like, 'I'm the head coach so I'll make my son do it.' I'd go home after practice and just learn how to do it on my own."

What's it like looking at the world upside down? "To be a long snapper you're supposed to look, but I don't I look to see if the punter is ready and then I look back down. I don't like putting my head down because somebody's always hitting me. They say don't hit the snapper, but they hit the snapper."

Did you sign as a long snapper? "When I was in high school I wanted to play defense. I was looking for a school that would let me play defense and do long-snapping. When Coach (Anthony) Jones told me he'd let me do both, I wanted that. But as Coach Jones said I snapped so good he didn't want me to play defense."

How many snaps in a practice? "Maybe 100 snaps a day ... To me right now it's second nature."

How far can you snap it? "When I tried it, I stopped at 50 yards. I don't know if I can go farther than that."

You don't get to play defense, but on punt coverage you're one of the first ones there. "I always want to make contact. I get there as fast as I can to try to be the first one to make the tackle."

What were you listening to this morning? Future.

Favorite movie: "I love Chris Tucker, so it'd have to be 'Money Talks.'"

Must-see TV: "I like watching the Food Network channels. I wanted to be a cook. I might go back later to a culinary arts school."

Tattoos: "No. My mama and my grandmama wouldn't let me."

Pets: "I have a dog. It's sorta my sister's dog. It's a white poodle."

A poodle? You need to keep saying it's your sister's. "Yeah, you're right."

COURTESY ALABAMA A&M UNIVERSITY SPORTS INFORMATION

No comments: