Wednesday, December 4, 2013

MVSU softball inks seven high school standouts

ITTA BENA -- Mississippi Valley State has announced the signing of seven student-athletes who will join the team in fall 2014.

Bria Daniels (1st, Catcher)
The Missouri, Texas native has excelled both in the classroom and on the diamond while at Ridge Point High School, earning Honorable Mention (2011), Second Team All-District (2012) and Academic All District (2013). Daniels, a 5-foot-7 right-hander, played for the Texas Impact Gold summer league team. She plans to major in Biology at MVSU. 
 
In her own words: "I chose MVSU because of its reputable softball program and I wanted to be a part of the winning tradition and the academic standards of the team. I loved everything the school had to offer and couldn't help but feel a part of the community the moment I set foot on campus. Everyone I met welcomed me to the school wholeheartedly. I'm excited to take part in the experiences that can only be found at HBCUs such as Valley State."

Jordan Brown (OF)
The Thompsons Station, Tenn. native joins the Devilette squad from Columbia Academy where she batted .468 and named All-District, All-Tournament, All-Midstate, All State and Out of the Park Award. Brown also has excelled in classroom, earning honors such as National Honor Society, Honor Roll and TSSAA Scholastic Awards. The 5-foot-5 outfielder recently played for the Tennessee Attack summer league team. Brown's resume includes an on-base percentage of .613, 68 RBIs and 13 home runs. She also lettered in volleyball, earning numerous accolades including Best Blocker, Best Hitter, All-District, All-Tournament and All-Region. 
 
In her own words: I chose MVSU because the atmosphere of the school was amazing and the girls on the team, coach Lee Smith and assistant coach Shanika Randle were very welcoming. I could see myself being on campus without any doubts. It almost felt like a home away from home and I love that about MVSU."



Sharia Cormier (INF)
The Hemet, Calif. native signed with MVSU out of West Valley High School where last season she was named team MVP and Team Captain. Cormier has been named First Team All-League each year from 2010-13 and was named Scholar Athlete in 2010. The 5-foot-5 infielder, who hit .635 at West Valley High, played with the Minors Gold summer league team. Cormier also lettered in volleyball, earning Most Improved Player. 
 
In her own words: "I choose to come to MVSU because I have always wanted to go out of California to play college softball at the next level and Valley gives me that opportunity. Once I visited the campus I fell in love with atmosphere of a small school setting and the hospitality that everyone on and off campus displayed. I am extremely excited in becoming a Devilette. I am looking forward to continuing the championship legacy that has been established at MVSU in winning SWAC championships. I am thrilled to be able to play for the coaching staff under coach Smith and with the girls as my future teammates. Furthering my education and pursuing my goal of having my degree in Kinesiology makes me absolutely ecstatic to allow myself to accomplish this at Mississippi Valley State University."



Haley Young (Pitcher)
The Bixby, Okla. native comes to Valley from Bixby High School where she boasts an ERA of 1.83 and was named All-Conference and All-District. The 5-foot-7 pitcher was also named Academic All-Conference in 2012 and Academic All-Conference Honorable Mention in 2013. Last summer, she played for the Tulsa Shootout 180 Gold summer league team. She batting .270 with 23 RBIs and four home runs. She has 234 strikeouts during her time at Bixby High including three no-hitters and two perfect games. 
 
In her own words: "When I first visited Valley, it felt like home to me. I love the people and the atmosphere and I couldn't imagine my college experience anywhere else. To me, being a Devilette means achieving dreams and exceeding expectations. I know that my dreams have come true and that I have exceeded many peoples expectations by becoming a Devilette and being given the opportunity to play Division-I softball. I also know that there will be many more dreams to come true and expectations broken in years to come and I couldn't be more excited."

Rebekah Clinton (Pitcher)
The Ponca City, Okla. native was named Pitcher of the Year (2010), MVP (2011, 12) and First Team All-District (2011, 12) while at Ponca City High School. Clinton has amassed 568 strikeouts, 76 career victories and an ERA of 2.09. Clinton, who also lettered at swimming, played for the Tulsa Eagles Gold summer league team. She plans to major in education at MVSU. 
 
In her own words: "I love the school's atmosphere. The first time I walked on campus it felt like home. Everyone is so nice and seems like if you ever need anything there's always someone to help you. I wanted to go to a program that was well known and established and that could help me take my game to the next level. To be a Devilette is a privilege and an honor to wear the green and white of Valley. I can't wait to be a part of the program and represent the school."

Alexandra Dobbins (Catcher)
The Kansas City, Mo. native lettered in softball and basketball at Grandview High School. Her resume includes First Team All-District (2012), Second Team All-District (2010, 12), First Team All-Conference (2012) and Second Team All-Conference (2010, 12). Dobbins, who hit .449 last season, also earned the team's highest batting average from 2010-12 and was named Varsity MVP in 2011 and Varsity Captain in 2011-12. The 5-foot-11 catcher played for the Kansas City Skinners summer league team from 2012-13. Dobbins was named to the National Honor Society. 
 
In her own owns: "I chose to come to Mississippi Valley State University because I wanted to be a part of the great softball program it has and the campus felt like a place I could call home. It is an honor to be a Devilette. I feel like I am part of a new family. I have a strong sense of responsibility and I am motivated to be a better player and contribute to the winning traditions of the Devilette softball team."

Jacquelyn Espinoza (INF)
The 5-foot-8 infielder was named Second Team All-District in 2010-11, First Team All-District 2011-13 and MVP of the Floresville Softball Tournament while at Harlandale High School in San Antonio, Texas. She boasts a batting average of .425 and an on-base percentage of .551. Espinoza, who's academic achievements include the National Honor Society and 2013 All-District Academic Team , plans to major in Health, Physical Education and Recreation. She played for the Texas Titans summer league team. 
 
In her own words: "I chose MVSU because the school has an amazing softball program; not only do they perform on the filed, but as well in school. Upon my visit, everyone I met made me feel like you all were just one big family. During my visit, everywhere I went I was greeted in the kindest of ways. The coaching staff seems to take care of each of their players as if they were their own which shows how much of a family it is."

COURTESY MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY SPORTS INFORMATION
 

No comments: