Thursday, January 9, 2014

Golden Bulls win with new roster, second-year coach

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina -- After a rocky first season as Johnson C. Smith women’s basketball coach, Steve Joyner Jr. vowed his second would be better.

It’s working out pretty well so far.

The Golden Bulls are on a six-game win streak, unbeaten at home and 8-4 overall going into a Jan. 9 CIAA game at Chowan. Joyner, son of JCSU men’s coach Steve Joyner Sr. knew he had to get the program in gear after a six-win campaign last year.

“I made a promise to my president (Ronald Carter) when he told me he wanted me to be the man here at work that I would get him a winning program,” Joyner said. “That’s what we’re going to do.”

That was the expectation for Joyner, who grew up around Golden Bulls basketball and ...



CONTINUE READING

No comments: