Thursday, February 13, 2014

Alabama State's Riley Continues NFL Pursuit

MONTGOMERY, Alabama  -- Kejuan Riley is still looking to make plays, and is willing to take the road less traveled to do it.

The former Alabama State football free safety signed a professional football contract to play for the Indoor Football League's Texas Revolution, the Plano, Texas-based team which begins its season this Saturday.



Alabama State's career leader in both interceptions (21) and interception return yards (348), Riley, who led or tied for the Southwestern Athletic Conference lead in interceptions each of his final three seasons, finished his career with 231 tackles (145 solo) with four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. He also averaged 22.3 yards on 15 kick returns and 7.5 yards on 28 punt returns during his career.

The three-time All-SWAC and two-time All-America performer was invited to the Atlanta Falcons rookie camp in May, but was not signed by the team.

While continuing to work towards his NFL dream, Riley continued his education at Alabama State, finishing hours toward his physical education degree while coaching defensive backs at Jefferson Davis High School.

Riley, who will play defensive back, wide receiver and return kicks for the Revolution, said his current Texas experience has humbled him.

"It's coming from a top notch HBCU where things were very organized and you knew what you were going to get out of the program to coming here where you go with the flow, finding a place to practice, and having no locker room," Riley said. "This has opened my eyes to go hard each and every day with no regrets and put God first.

And while the 15-game schedule ends in June, Riley hopes the IFL season ends with an NFL invitation for the fall.

"I've been playing football all my life and I know God has my back," Riley said. "I know I have to just wait for my time and trust in him. I'm going to pursue my dream as long as he shows me the way. I just thank God for letting me get back on a football field to play the sport I love. This is a great chance for me to get more film and prove myself. I am taking things one step at a time."

COURTESY ALABAMA STATE UNIVERSITY ATHLETIC MEDIA RELATIONS

No comments: