Saturday, January 17, 2015

Hampton U. adds new football players at mid-year, hopes for boost

COURTESY HAMPTON UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS
HAMPTON, Virginia -- After the most distasteful, frustrating season of his career, Hampton University football coach Connell Maynor made two demands: Players get better; get better players.

Maynor won’t know about the former until spring practice commences. He believes that he and the staff began to address the latter concern with a handful of midyear transfers and additions.

“I’m not going to lose nine games again,” Maynor said, referring to the Pirates’ 3-9 record last season, the program’s worst since elevating to Division I in the mid-1990s.

HU lost more games last season than Maynor lost in his previous four years as head coach at Division II Winston-Salem State, where the Rams went 45-6 with three NCAA playoff appearances.

“I told the players it was unacceptable,” he said. “It’s not personal, but we’re in a results-oriented business. If I don’t produce, they’re going to get rid of me. If you don’t produce, I have to get rid of you. I’ve got to do what’s best for the university and the program.”

The Pirates added seven players, who began spring...

CONTINUE READING

No comments: