Sunday, January 11, 2015

Late putback lifts Lady Tigers to first SWAC win

GRAMBLING, Louisiana  –  In a matter of seconds, true freshman Bre’Nae Andrews evolved into an upperclassmen.

The Grambling forward pulled down a rebound and laid in the game-winning shot with 3.1 seconds left to lift the Lady Tigers past rival Southern, 57-56, on Saturday night for their first Southwestern Conference victory of the year.

“I’m still pumped. It was a big shot in a big game. The adrenaline is still running,” said Andrews, who finished with 12 points. “I was just thinking I just needed to get this rebound by any means necessary and it just happened to fall right into my arms and I went back up.”

With Grambling (4-10, 1-1 SWAC) trailing by a point after a pair of free throws from Southern’s Cortnei Purnell, first-year coach Nadine Domond called a timeout that led to Shanice Poole’s corner 3-pointer.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: